Tuesday, January 17, 2006

"I Have a Dream"

Upon searching for the title of the famous speech by the Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. on Google, I came across a site that I thought many would find beneficial, especially those interested in American history. The text of his speech (along with audio mp3 files of it) can be found here. But actually the whole site of American Rhetoric is great. They have the Top 100 American speeches of all time listed there, and they self-verify the authenticity of the transcripts. They also offer the audio of a great many of the speeches.

Check it out if you have a moment and some interest. And certainly, if you've never read the "I Have a Dream" speech in its entirety, you should do so. I was surprised myself a few years ago when I finally got around to reading the whole speech. It has a much more vitriolic tone in the beginning than I ever would have thought. However, given the time-period in which he originally gave it, it rather seems subtle to me now. Give it a read, or (perhaps even better) a listen! The wisdom and rhetorical devices used by Rev. King have been seldomed matched in American history. In fact, this speech is ranked as American Rhetoric's #1!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home