Sunday, January 22, 2006

Rousseau Quotes Apropos on This Day of Remembrance

I've been researching Rousseau a bit lately and I came across two comments of his from the opening lines of the Social Contract, the first of which is famous and the other of which I found to be insightful. They are especially appropriate to post this weekend when the memories of millions of unborn and aborted children are brought to our minds. I'll just let the quotes stand on their own. I think they need no help from me.

L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers.

(Man is born free; and everywhere he is in chains.)

La plus ancienne de toutes les sociétés et la seule naturelle est celle de la famille.

(The most ancient of all societies, and the only one that is natural, is the family.)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home